Visa FAQ
Passport FAQ

Visa FAQ

What is a visa?

A visa is a document showing that a person is authorized to enter the territory for which it was issued, subject to permission of an immigration official at the time of actual entry.

Can I provide a photocopy of my passport to get a visa?

Your physical passport is required by the consular office at the time the visa application is made.  The visa itself will be stamped or applied to a page in your physical passport book.

Can I obtain a visa on arrival?

Certain countries allow visas to be obtained by particular nationalities upon arrival into that country.  Whenever possible, it is recommended to obtain a visa in advance of travel to avoid possible delays and complications that are subject to occur when obtaining a visa on arrival.  You may visit the online visa portal to determine if a visa is available on arrival.

What does where I live in the U.S. have to do with processing my visa?

Certain countries use consular jurisdiction when issuing visas.  Meaning, based on the state in which you reside, your visa will be processed through a particular consulate within the U.S.  It is possible for consulates to have varying requirement s from one jurisdiction to another.

How do I know if immunizations are required for my trip?

If record of Immunization of required the issuance of a visa, this will be listed in G3’s Required Document Checklist.  Often times, certain immunizations will be recommended for travel to particular countries, but will not be required for issuance of a visa.  For an up to date list of recommended immunizations visit the CDC's website.

Do the pages in the back of my U.S. passport qualify as visa pages?

The pages in the back of a U.S. passport are used for Amendments and Endorsements made to the passport by the U.S. Department of State only, and foreign countries will not place visas on pages marked as such.  Pages available for visa issuance by foreign countries say ‘Visa’ on the top of each page.

I need a visa but I’m a non-US national, can you assist?

If you are a non-US national who legally resides in the United States as either a Resident Alien (Green Card), or valid US visa holder, we can assist with travel outside of the US requiring a visa.

What is a Schengen visa?

Traveling on a Schengen Visa means that the visa holder can travel to any member countries using one single visa. This is particularly beneficial for persons who wish to visit several Schengen countries on the same trip.  Visas must be applied for through the first Schengen country of entry, if multiple Schengen countries are being visited on a single trip.  Schengen countries include Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, and Poland.

Passport FAQ

What is a Passport Book?

A Passport Book is a document, issued by a national government, which certifies, for the purpose of international travel, the identity and nationality of its holder.

What is a Passport  Card?

The U.S. Passport Card can be used for travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. The passport card is not valid for any international travel by air.

What is a Passport Acceptance Facility?

A Passport Acceptance Facility is typically located at a main branch post office or clerk of court.  An authorized agent at the facility will review the passport applicant’s state issued photo ID, proof of citizenship, and passport application, and witness the applicant’s signature on the government form DS-11. To find a facility closest to your location visit

What should I do if I can’t find my Birth Certificate?

Certified copies of Birth Certificates can be ordered by contacting the Department of Vital Statistics in the state in which you were born.  Certified copies of birth certificates, under most circumstances, can be expedited through the online services offered by Vital Chek.

When can I renew my passport?

Passports are eligible for renewal within one year to expiration.  It is best to renew a passport prior to it having six months remaining in validity.

Does my child need a passport to travel internationally?

All U.S. nationals, regardless of age, require their own passport for international travel.

Will the passport agency return my passport when I apply for a renewal?

Yes, as long as the passport is deemed to be in good condition, the passport agency will cancel the existing passport and return it along with the newly issued passport.

Can I fax or email G3 my signed documents?

No, the U.S. Department of State requires documents with original, ink to paper, signatures for processing

Can G3 assist with processing passports for non-US nationals?

G3 can process passports for US citizens only. Most countries require the applicant to apply for passport services directly with the consulate. Contact G3 if you need assistance finding a consulate for your non-US passport service.